BETA SAÚDE
Burrishoole Friary
Texto da Wikipédia (en), licença CC BY-SA. O BETARUBI mostra o verbete inteiro nesta página — a leitura não continua fora do site.
Mainistir Bhuiríos Umhaill | |
| Monastery information | |
|---|---|
| Order | Dominican Order |
| Established | 1470 |
| Disestablished | 1606 |
| Diocese | Killala |
| People | |
| Founders | Richard de Burgo of Turlough, Lord MacWilliam Oughter |
| Architecture | |
| Status | Inactive |
| Style | Gothic |
| Site | |
| Location | County Mayo, Ireland |
| Coordinates | 53°53′55″N 9°34′19″W / 53.89861°N 9.57194°W |
| Visible remains | Church |
| Public access | Yes |
Burrishoole Friary (Irish: Minister Bhuiríos Umhaill) was a Dominican friary in County Mayo, Ireland, located a few kilometers west of the town of Newport, County Mayo. Its ruin is a National Monument.
Burrishoole Friary was founded c. 1469 by Richard de Burgo of Turlough, Lord MacWilliam Oughter. It was built without the permission of Pope Paul II (term 1464-1471). In 1486, Pope Innocent VIII (term 1484-1492) instructed Uilliam Seóighe, the Archbishop of Tuam (term 1485-1501) to forgive the friars. [1]
The church and the eastern wall of the cloister remain. The grounds of the friary are an actively used cemetery.[citation needed]
The Friary is often called "Burrishoole Abbey", although this colloquial name is inaccurate because the Dominican order did not have abbots; Dominican houses are not technically abbeys.[citation needed]
Gallery
- Cloister
- South transept and nave
- Tower
See also
Notes
- ↑ McDermott, Yvonne (2010). "The Dominican priory of Burrishoole: an 'irregular' foundation of the lower Mac William Burkes". Cathair na Mart: Journal of the Westport Historical Society. 28: 4–16.
References
- Monument sign in front of the Friary
